Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Homemade Au Gratin Potatoes - Recipe

The other day, I decided it was time to try a new recipe. I had been dying to make some Au Gratin Potatoes so I decided that's what I was going to make. :) They were actually pretty yummy!

I'm the type of person that likes leftovers better than when I first got the meal, is that weird? I had the leftovers today for lunch and it was way better to me! And since I didn't get to take pictures the night we made it, I did take a picture of it today. 


Want to make them for yourself? I promise they're yummy! Here's the recipe: 


Au Gratin Potatoes
Prep Time: 30 minutes - Cook Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Ingredients:  
4 Russet Potatoes, sliced
3 Tablespoons of Butter
3 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
2 Cups of Milk
2 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
Salt & Pepper for Taste
Breadcrumbs to make a Crust (optional

Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Butter a Casserole Dish

Directions: 
1.) Layer potatoes evenly in casserole dish. Add salt and pepper for taste. 
2.) In a saucepan, melt the butter completely. 
3.) Mix in flour and salt and whisk for about a minute. 
4.) Add the milk and cook until the mixture has thickened. 
5.) Add in all the cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
6.) Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
     Optional - Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top to make a crust.
7.) Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for one and a half hours. 


In the end, this is a recipe I'll try again for sure! I loved it, the taste wasn't too over powering and it goes perfectly with homemade chicken strips. :) 

So try it out for yourself and if you do, I'd LOVE to hear what you thought! 

To end this, what do you all think about recipe cards? I was thinking of making some for every recipe I post here on Made By Brittany and then sharing it here so you all can print it out for your own use. Yes... No? Let me know what you all think! :) 

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. So, I made these potatoes last night to go along with our steaks for dinner--they were a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. I say yes to recipe cards--I am always looking to blogs for recipes and I like it when there is a way to get the recipe w/o having to write it out.

    ReplyDelete